This writing skills training course includes a mix of trainer input, group discussion, real-life examples and practical exercises. During the day you will be encouraged to work in pairs, analyse your own writing, try out new techniques, and give and get constructive peer feedback. We will cover:
Why good writing pays:
- The case for developing your own and your people’s writing skills
Corporate writing and you:
- Identifying your personal style
- Understanding your house style
- Breathing life into corporate prose, making it human
- Personalising templates
Ten ways to make your documents stand out and get read:
1. Clarifying your aims – what do you really want to achieve?
2. Putting your readers first, speaking to their needs and interests
3. Finding the right structure, getting things in a logical order
4. Writing sentences for impact, variety and flow
5. Explaining your business in plain English
6. Paragraphing effectively
7. Using facts and figures to tell a story
8. Signposting and other ways to keep your reader reading
9. Making it memorable with narrative and rhetorical devices
10. Making it look good – layout, headings, fonts and graphics
11. Sharpen up your writing in ten easy steps
You will be asked to bring two examples of your writing to this course, including something you are currently working on. You will leave with a coursebook that includes resources to use at work to build on your learning, and a year’s free support from your trainer.
All our training courses are delivered virtually. The webinar systems used do not require software download.